PAMP, Personal Apache MySQL and PHP Released for Symbians

Written by on January 20, 2008 in PAMP - 7 Comments

We were talking about PHP on Symbians in the latest editorial, today PAMP is already here ! The new acronym is for Personal Apache MySQL and PHP (PAMP) is an experimental project by Nokia to provide an open source personal web server for their S60-based mobile phones.
Two packages are available c and e, I don’t know who will install this on c, personally I have a 2Gig memory card and all applications goes there. You can install PAMP using PCSuite or simply by copying files to your memory card.
The downloaded package itself include Python, PythonScript Shell, Pips, Open SSL and PAMP itself; and everything is about 7.5MB. After installing PAMP, you can find details on the connectivity settings on the website so you could connect to your mobile server using WLAN.

Notice that PAMP is still in beta, and currently its memory usage is very high, so probably you won’t be able to run it easily on your S60 3rd edition phone. Currently the website mention that only E90 and N95 8GB are supported. Or if you have more than 64MB RAM you can give it a try, I have only 18MB RAM on my N80, so probably I have to urge to get a N95.
PAMP wiki page : http://wiki.opensource.nokia.com/projects/PAMP
You can get PAMP for Symbian from Sourceforge : http://sourceforge.net/projects/pamp

7 Comments on "PAMP, Personal Apache MySQL and PHP Released for Symbians"

1. Mallikarjuna January 22, 2008 at 7:22 am · Reply

Keept it up!
    Thanks,

2. Mallikarjuna January 22, 2008 at 7:24 am · Reply

Its very interesting and good news for open source mobile developers. I felt very happy after reading blog. Great work and good news. Keep it up! Thanks.

3. VisualMind January 22, 2008 at 3:24 pm · Reply

I have successfully installed symbian PAMP on my standard N95 (not 8GB) and it works fine. It uses around 11MB (without MySQL) and 18MB with MySQL.
    I also noticed that php is 5.2 running on Apache2 with a lot of extensions enabled (GD, MySQL, MySQLi, curl, mbstring and around five s60 additional modules).

4. Hatem January 22, 2008 at 4:59 pm · Reply

I’m able to run httpd or mysql only on my N80, but that’s everything, can’t even open browser to test it !.
    By the way, I didn’t find documentation for PHP s60 modules, do you have it ?

5. sobhi-al-hasan January 27, 2009 at 7:26 pm · Reply

i have tested pamp on nokia 5800 xm i know that its s60 v5 but the pamp s60 v3 work great on the mobile fast im using pamp to make a mobile server so i can get all my mobile content on my laptop or pc
    i have changed all the scripts of pamp to let it work fast and with no high memory use.
    the program is the best program for mobile servers

6. SuperRoach January 29, 2009 at 3:15 pm · Reply

Unfortunately the open source nature of this package does not mean too much – the Samsung i8510 for example, is restricted from running this excellent and handy server.

7. Uxair February 20, 2013 at 8:29 pm · Reply